SAN FRANCISCO–(www.getsongbird.com) today launched their new apps for Android and other platforms that make the music discovery experience fundamentally social, provide personalized recommendations and deliver music beyond the tracks.)–Music lovers today are being cheated by music apps with limited social and discovery features. Representing an entirely new approach to music discovery, Songbird (
“Songbird is exploding traditional notions of music discovery. Our goal is to remove all the barriers to connecting people to artists, the music they love and their friends. The days of stale playlists, boring genre replays, pay-for-play recommendations and track-only music experiences are over!”
Songbird’s research reveals deep music fan dissatisfaction with arcane methods of discovery like cutting and pasting URLs, sharing playlists and broadcasting Top 50 charts. Apps and services like Spotify, Pandora and iTunes have relegated discovery to endless searches; wading through news feed posts, visiting dozens of web sites or repeatedly listening to the same 30 music tracks on a radio station. In particular, fans noted that:
- discovering new music and artists is difficult and time-consuming. A May 2012 research study by Songbird revealed that more than 93% of music lovers are constantly on the lookout for new artists and new music; however, those music lovers said that the search process is often fruitless and very difficult.
- yet “effortless music discovery” rated between “important” and “absolutely vital” for a digital music service.
“Songbird is exploding traditional notions of music discovery. Our goal is to remove all the barriers to connecting people to artists, the music they love and their friends. The days of stale playlists, boring genre replays, pay-for-play recommendations and track-only music experiences are over!” said Les Schmidt, Songbird CEO.
The new Songbird apps uniquely empower music fans with a music discovery experience that is:
- EFFORTLESS. New music, new artists and fresh music updates are delivered straight to you…in the apps fans already use. Songbird’s first-of-its-kind “effortless discovery” feature suggests new artists and new music to fans based solely on the artists and music the fan already loves. Fans can follow an artists’ every move, share anything Songbird delivers with friends and even purchase music from 7digital, the largest licensed distributor of MP3 tracks in the world – effortlessly.
- UP CLOSE. Stay current with favorite artists; get their updates real-time about concerts, videos and any images they post. With Songbird, music fans can listen to their music and “dive deep” in the same apps to learn the latest about artists, drawing from sources such as Facebook posts, YouTube videos, SoundCloud audio tracks, Wikipedia and last.fm bio information, and Flickr images. Videos, concert news, photos, and more all get delivered into a single music experience saving fans tons of time and simultaneously enabling a much richer music experience.
- PERSONAL. Songbird is all about the individual music fan. New artists are suggested based on the music and artists a fan already knows and loves, not just what everyone else is already listening to. Only updates about artists you care about are delivered directly to you! We use the power of the internet to deliver an experience that is unique to each and every fan.
- SOCIAL. Songbird’s new Facebook-connected apps gives easy insight into friends’ music interests too. Discover new artists directly from friends by easily seeing which artists they like or follow. That new discovery you found in your friends’ interests can buy easily purchased or shared with anyone – all with one click, all in the same app! Connect with friends in ways never before possible.
What People are Saying About Songbird’s Discovery Feature
“Many people say I sound like my brother John Legend, but few know about me. With Songbird’s effortless social music discovery, people can hear about my story, struggle and swag, learning about me and developing a deeper appreciation of me as an artist.”
- R&B artist Vaughn Anthony
“Songbird is a great way for me to discover new artists that I can use in my international DJ work without having to go to a major effort.”
- DJ Skribble
“Songbird is a great app! It’s by far one of the easiest ways promoters can discover, hear and taste our talent.”
- Michael Schweiger, CEO of Central Entertainment Group (CEG)
“I have been waiting for a music discovery app like this. My friends and I are onto the latest and greatest music, and I love the great finds I make in Songbird. It sucks that I have to cut and paste YouTube URLs to share the music I love… Songbird allows me to share what I am passionate about with my closest friends without ever leaving my music. This is an awesome app.”
- Marvin Morazan, a beta tester & international law student, Univ of the Pacific.
Songbird is ranked in the top 1% of apps in the Google and Amazon stores. In addition to the Android mobile phone version, the new Songbird apps, with the effortless discovery feature, are available on Mac, Windows and the Web with Facebook Connect. An iOS version is coming soon.
“Lead the Flock” Contest
In association with its product debut, and in the spirit of sharing, Songbird has launched “Lead the Flock,” a social media-based contest that rewards users with valuable music-related prizes for sharing meaningful music experiences with the community, downloading and using Songbird, and for referring Songbird to their friends. The contest begins today and will only last one month. Winners will be announced on July 12. Contest details can also be found at http://www.getsongbird.com
“Effortless Music Discovery” Video
In association with its product debut, watch the video at http://www.getsongbird.com and see what Songbird means by ultimate music discovery — effortless, personal, social — and it’s all delivered right to you by Songbird!
The Songbird Android app, Windows and Mac desktop apps, and web app are free and can be accessed at http://www.getsongbird.com; the Android app can be also accessed within the Google Play and Amazon Android app stores. An iOS-based app will launch in the near future.
Want Screen Shots?
Download from getSongbird.com or call (415) 347-1431 or email Marketing@SongbirdNest.com
Songbird is reinventing music discovery through its apps for the Android phone, the Web and the desktop. In 2011, Fast Company named Songbird – still operating in stealth mode – one of its “Top 10 Most Innovative Music Companies.” Songbird has received $17 million in funding to date from such investors as Atlas Ventures, Sequoia Capital and Philips Consumer Electronics. The company nests in San Francisco, CA.